Saturday, 31 May 2014

Jam tart biscuits

Don't you just love those delightful images of children helping out in the kitchen - stirring batters, kneading balls of dough and chopping vegetables? Well so do I. I can stare at them for hours, for example in The River Cottage Family Cookbook.

The problem is that in reality, the idea of my children stirring, kneading and chopping anything makes me just plain nervous. In my mind's eye I can see blood spurting out of little fingers (and onto the dinner!) and great sticky messes being made in the kitchen and spread throughout the entire house. Guiding children in activities such as these also requires an angelic patience I don't always have.


Having said that, allowing my kids to help in the kitchen is something I'm working on. I started a while ago by getting them to help with biscuit baking. They are particularly fond of making (and eating) Jam Tart Biscuits and especially love dolloping the jam in the middle. You've seen these biscuits before on Notes from Delft and you'll surely see them again because they're a bit of a fixture in this house. I am certain there are different versions of this little classic out there, but I use the one from Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook Notes From My Kitchen Table because it doesn't contain refined sugar.


Here is the recipe, which she calls Lalo's Famous Cookies. I have adapted the quantity, since Gwyneth's recipe yields about 50 biscuits - far too many for this household, though M and the kids beg to differ.


Jam Tart Biscuits
adapted from Notes From My Kitchen Table by Gwyneth Paltrow 

225g barley flour (I sometimes use spelt flour instead)
225g almond meal
0,5 teaspoon fine salt
0,5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
125ml rapeseed oil (though I usually use hazelnut oil)
125ml pure maple syrup
your favourite (sugar free) jam
yields about 25 biscuits

  • preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
  • combine all ingredients except the jam in a bowl
  • stir with a wooden spoon
  • make balls the size of walnuts - or bigger if you prefer
  • make an indent in each biscuit with your thumb
  • fill each indent with a dollop of jam
  • bake for 20 minutes or until evenly browned



Ready to go into the oven...

and waiting to be eaten (won't take long)



4 comments:

  1. heee, bedankt voor het recept :) Je bent lekker bezig hoor!!
    o ja, en heel herkenbaar; heb ook het geduld niet voor kinderhulp, erger nog; het wordt alleen maar minder geloof ik...:( Groetjes, Heleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wat lief, dankjewel Heleen! Ben blij dat ik niet de enige ben zonder engelengeduld...

      Delete
    2. That looks yummy! Ha well the same problems.. Van de regen in de drup helpen heet dat geloof ik.
      Have the river cottage book in my kitchen too!
      See you again in the pool!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.