Monday, 23 June 2014

Grand Slam

Yesterday the weather was beautiful.  We spent most of the day outside in the garden and N went to her first birthday party in the afternoon which she spent the whole morning looking forward to. There was something endearing about the way she chattered on and on about how she was going to her friend's birthday and how important that was. She even wanted me to polish her nails.



Lovely little hands with pink (what else) nails. N insisted on covering her right middle finger because I didn't want to paint it due to a cuticle infection. "It will spoil the picture otherwise," she said

Whilst N was at her friend's birthday party, M, S and I went to the tennis club. Just last week we became members. An interesting aspect of my personal development is that I feel like exercising a lot more than I used to - yes, I mean I actually want to exert myself and get sweaty instead of just feeling that I have to. I had spent some time pondering what sport would suit me best and when S started taking junior tennis lessons, there was my answer. The tennis club is just down the street (literally) and it's a great place to spend time whacking a few balls around, getting sweaty and exercising away life's little frustrations. It is also a perfect way to spend time together with my hubby. M and I make a good team and I feel we still have it in us to become the next Serena Williams and Pete Sampras. I'm sure we would have done fabulously on the court if the net hadn't kept getting in the way. And if the court had been bigger. Or smaller.



The calories we lost playing tennis were thankfully compensated by the blueberry muffins I baked the day before. I'm not sure exactly how many we ate, but the less said about that the better.


Blueberry Muffins
adapted from Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book by Mary Berry 

250g spelt flour (I sometimes use wholemeal spelt)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g butter, softened
75g raw cane sugar
1 vanilla pod*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
2 large eggs or 3 normal ones
250ml buttermilk or regular milk
1 tub of blueberries
yields: 12 muffins

*If you're not keen on vanilla, replace with a heaped teaspoon of cinnamon, orange rind or lemon rind; all are equally delicious.

  • preheat the oven 200 degrees Celsius
  • line muffin tin with 12 paper cases
  • measure flour, cream of tartar and baking powder into a large bowl
  • add butter and rub until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
  • stir in sugar, blueberries and add the vanilla seeds you've scraped from the pod
  • in a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs and vanilla essence (I love the taste of vanilla, hence both the pod and the essence)
  • pour the wet onto the dry and stir together, making sure lumps of flour are dissolved - not too long and hard, muffin batter should be lumpy
  • scoop mixture into paper cases filling them three-quarters of the way (I use an ice cream scoop)
  • bake for 20-25 minutes

I went slightly overboard (literally) filling some of my muffin cases. You can tell which ones - mutant muffins were the result.

Check out the one in the back row (S wanted that one)

The one in the left-hand corner has a cute little mutant snout



Proud little muffin


3 comments:

  1. Mmm, those blueberry muffins look delicious. It's just the right time of year for blueberries as well. Glad you're enjoying the tennis, there will be plenty to watch on television now as well, bring on the strawberries and cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik zou dat muffintje op de achterste rij ook wel willen ;-))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.