Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Tuna pie a la M

I love baking. There's nothing quite like stirring together the wet and the dry and turning out some delicious muffins. Or kneading some dough for biscuits. Or creaming together sugar and butter to make a cake. In other words: taking a few beautiful, single ingredients and marrying them together. I find baking a meditative activity - it clears my head and slows my breathing. For that reason it is an important part of my simple living philosophy.

I do the baking in this house, but the cooking is something M and I share. There are periods in which I cook more than he does and vice versa. Today was one of those days I simply did not feel like cooking - that is to say: I did not feel like deciding what to cook. Luckily, M was more than happy to do the honours. He made his own version of a Tuna Pie and I wouldn't want to keep the recipe from you. It's delicious and easy. I do see the irony in the fact that it is, strictly speaking, a baked good (so really my department) but it is savoury and hence doesn't entirely count.

Tuna Pie a la M

1 onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic (less or more if you prefer), thinly sliced
1 courgette, cut into quarters
2 tins of tuna in brine
1 tin of tuna in oil
5 tomatoes
1 tin of tomato paste
1 teaspoon Tarragon
(sea) salt and pepper
50g grated cheese
puff pastry
a 26cm loose-bottomed baking pan

  • preheat the oven 225 degrees Celsius
  • open the tin of tuna in oil; drain the oil into a frying pan
  • fry the onion and garlic in the tuna oil until the onions are soft and glossy; then add the courgette
  • add the tomato paste, stir wel
  • seaon with salt, pepper and Tarragon
  • keep the mixture warm on low heat and line the baking pan with the pastry
  • drain the other two tins of tuna and add all tuna to the onion mixture. Incorporate well.
  • tip the mixture into the baking pan
  • cover with slices or wedges of tomatoes and on top of that the grated cheese
  • bake for 25-30 minutes





N remarked that she thought hers looked like a slice of fancy pizza

Finished in no time


After seeing The Netherlands beat world champions Spain so mercilessly (and beautifully!) last Friday, we are looking forward to watching them beat meet Australia tomorrow evening...



3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that looks delicious! (especially now that I am in the middle of a 15 day juicing plan...) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really yummy Isabelle. I love finding new things to do with Tuna so will keep this in mind. My boys would love this...your hubby is very talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my lot would eat tuna. I love the way M makes use of the tuna oil, very thrifty.
    Hope you enjoy watching the Netherlands, they were fabulous against Spain weren't they. I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about England's chances.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.