Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Bed making



What on earth is this, I can hear you thinking. Let me explain. Like a good, dutiful mama I always make the beds, but recently son S has begun wanting to make his own. He thinks the way I do it is... well, boring. Not cosy enough. I, of course, like to call my bed making skills simple and sensible, but that's beside the point. Anyhow. Whatever the reason, I encourage every move to independence and that includes making one's own bed. When the time came for him to proudly show me the result, he explained that he wanted to be with all his friends at night, not just some. No one should be excluded, he said, because that would be cruel and very, very sad.

When I laid eyes on this jolly gathering two things came to mind. First of all, a quote from the film The Grand Budapest Hotel, in which Gustave H. (Ralph Fiennes) declares: "I sleep with all my friends." And secondly: How on earth will the boy fit in?! The next morning S declared he had slept very well, thank you, and had spent the whole night happily away in dreamland having a ball with all his special friends.


All friends are welcome, S said. Even demanding ones (Piggy)...

... crazy ones (Animal)...

...or goofy ones (Dog)...

...and even angry ones (Cartman)

On a different note, there is a recipe I would like to share with you because it would simply be a crime not to. I was inspired to bake it after spending a wonderful hour reading Nigel Slater's Tender (part two, the one on fruit), a cookbook worthy of being called literature in my opinion. The crumb of the pastry is feathery light and the fruit mixture a burst of flavour. A magical combination.



Here is the recipe (adapted to suit my taste and food philosophy, as always):

Little Blueberry Pies 
Adapted from Tender by Nigel Slater

140g butter
230g spelt flour
50g coconut palm sugar
2 egg yolks
tub of blueberries (250-300g)
3 tablespoons sugar free strawberry jam (for Dutch/Belgian readers: Zonnatura is great)
60g ground almonds
4 ramekins

  • rub butter and flour together to form something that resembles fine, light breadcrumbs
  • stir in the sugar and egg yolks
  • then bring together mixture to form a dough making sure not to over-knead
  • roll dough into a short, fat log and refrigerate for a half hour
  • preheat oven 180 degrees Celsius
  • rinse fruit, toss in a bowl, add jam, ground almonds and stir together
  • cut the pastry into four pieces; line 4 ramekins with the pastry
  • pile filling into ramekins, fold pastry over the top of the filling as far as possible
  • bake for twenty-five minutes
  • leave to cool for a bit - the ramekins are hot!
  • dust with icing sugar






9 comments:

  1. The recipe looks worthy of giving it a try ! Yummy ! Plus, very interesting, looking at the ingredients, quite healthy and not a diet-killer ;-)
    Had a laugh whilst reading about your son - that story about him and his bed-buddies is so endearing :-)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, my sons bed used to look like that a lot! Every teddy would be in it and he got quite cross if some fell out in the night............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we had beds like that too. They all live under the bed now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother had a bed like that, my children prefer not to have wee friends in the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing at the image of your son squeezed in with all of those softies. What a sweetie he must be. The pie looks delicious. I have that book, so I'll have to look the recipe up. And I agree, it's a lovely book, great for reading. I've got the vegetable one on loan from the library at the moment as well, it's quite inspirational. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sons bedmaking!! I remember trying to sleep with all my soft toys in bed as a child too, and in fact I might still have a small fleet of them on the bed now, but they are photoshy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son is learning to make his bed too, albeit reluctantly. He only sleeps with one toy, but his bed is very lumpy because he doesn't like to pull the covers up tightly. He says it's faster, I say it's kind of lazy. :) The pies look good, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your sons way of thinking, what a gentle soul. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. My eldest girl loves to sleep with as many toys as possible. We need a bigger bed to accommodate them all! Love a bit of Nigel - especially to read in bed. Those pies look yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.