Friday, 11 July 2014

Reloading my battery

When I'm in a bad mood I sometimes complain about my house. The list of complaints is impressive, so hang onto your hats:
  • The living room is too small. 
  • The entrance hall is a broom closet. 
  • The ceilings are too low. 
  • There are no distinctive features to speak of.  
  • It's a boring, run-of-the-mill late 1980's square box in the suburbs and on top of that it needs a lot of DIY.

Now for the interesting bit.

In my better, more normal mood that same house is something entirely different. The list of accolades is equally impressive, so please hang onto your hats once more:
  • The living room is light and comfortable. 
  • With its five large bedrooms the house is spacious. 
  • Who cares about the small entrance hall and the low ceilings.
  • I love the kitchen with its beautiful worktops 
  • and the side window in the living room. 
  • It's a sturdy, modern end-of-terrace, Shaker-style house in a  peaceful, green suburb and when I glance out of the window I can see cows lazily wandering by (and what could be better than that?). 

Phew. So is this a post about my house or my moods? A little bit of both, I guess.

In the past few years, I have learned not to take my bad moods too seriously. I have learned that my moods - and not my life - are always changing; my life (house!) isn't good one minute, and rubbish the next. In learning to deal with my own moods gracefully, I think I am doing my children a tremendous favour: a bad mood, I tell them, is nothing more than a passing dark cloud in a usually peaceful sky.  Once the mood and the often accompanying fatigue have passed, a healthy, more realistic perspective on things will return, allowing you to choose the thoughts you want to believe (I prefer the positive ones). Once you realise this, no mood could possibly have a hold on you, and as a consequence you are free to deal with life's issues in a healthier and more peaceful way. Learning this takes practice, but the rewards are amazing.

                                                                             ----------------

I realise you may need to put on sunglasses to cope with the colour on the walls ('sunny' is what we like to call it) but I hope you'll enjoy a peek into our space. It is where we live, love, fight, argue and be happy; it is where we rest and reload our batteries. It is where we've got a good thing going on.


My favourite corner, especially in winter; it is opposite the side window which I love

Aforementioned side window

Close-up of beloved side window

As pretentious as it may sound, M and I love books and art

Place to sit when reading or watching TV. The flag is there in support of our football team who were unfortunately beaten by Argentina two nights ago (time to take it down then)

Children's bench with toys in it. Don't know why I added this photo; I guess I just like it

Two beautiful children and a cat called Enter enjoying the living room (Enter is unfortunately no longer with us)





21 comments:

  1. Die foto's van je huis zien er nochtans geweldig uit - als er nog eens een donker mood-wolkje voorbij komt, laat het maar snel overwaaien !
    En je favoriete hoekje ziet er geweldig uit !! Daar zou ik ook met plezier een boek lezen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel, Ingrid, voor je altijd lieve opmerkingen!

      Delete
  2. I would feel very much at home in your home. In fact, it reminds me of my own. We like colours and have an orange room, a yellow wall, a pink kitchen and a red bathroom. We also love art and books. I spend all my pocket money on art and books and yarn. I know what you mean about how one and the same thing feel different, depending on your mood. I like your dark cloud comparison, I need to remind myself of this image next time when I am in foul mood. Your children are beautiful, and the cat looks nice, too. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments, Christina. I love colourful houses - they're lively, expressionate and always seem to cheer me up.

      Delete
  3. I must say your Billy bookcases look very similar to mine both in content and position. I was rooting for The Netherlands by the way, sad they lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't that incredible! I couldn't believe it when I first saw pictures of your living room - so similar to mine!

      Delete
  4. Such a thoughtful post, I have days when everything is wrong, bad etc. but I have learned that it is my mood that is making it seem like that. I know the mood will pass and I won't feel the same about things when it does, so I don't allow it to 'take over'. It took me a while to realise this!

    Your home is beautiful, I love the art work, and such happy children xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it funny that something so obvious as "a mood is just a mood" takes us so long to realise!
      And thank you for your lovely compliments.

      Delete
  5. Your house is really pretty. I have similar days, where I feel like everything is unsatisfactory. I'm glad you took the time to look on the bright side. It helps me a lot too. I envy your five bedrooms! We have four, which is plenty, but if we had five, I could have my own craft and sewing room. Your children are so cute. I love that we have the same family, a big boy and a little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky indeed with those five bedrooms. The fourth room is what we call the laundry room and the fifth is a wonderful study which I am extremely happy with.
      I saw your kids picking plums and they looked so sweet.

      Delete
  6. Hi Isabelle, many thanks for popping by rusty duck. It means I have been able to find you in return.
    I love your cosy winter corner. I could imagine getting very comfortable there with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Rusty Duck, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. love the analogy of the dark cloud x and all your books. so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cosy corner in the living room! Especially the chair and the fact that you can easily see out of the window - oh and the nice wide windowsill too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments, Amy.

      Delete
  9. It's funny how we view the world differently depending on our moods, I definitely do this too. I love the colours in your house we have that sunny shade of yellow in our bedroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the influence of moods on our lives really fascinates me. You should try observing the ridiculous deprecating thoughts we have when we're in a foul mood - they're totally inaccurate and in that respect very funny. I always remind myself: wait until the mood clears, then see if you still feel the same way. If you do, change the situation; if you don't, it was just a case of silly thoughts during a bad mood.

      Delete
  10. this post really resonated with me too. When I am feeling low, I feel I want to change everything about my home and dare not look at lovely interiors magazines. But, when I am happy, I love my home. I thought it was only me who had this thing! I love your warm, sunny colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always wonderful to discover that you're not the only one and that in essence everyone has the same internal experiences. 'Shared humanity' or 'the human condition' I think they call it.

      Delete
  11. ... And a very warm welcome to all new visitors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.