Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Dutch macaroons

Now where are the Dutch macaroons (bitterkoekjes), I hear you wondering. They are below, on one of my lovely photos (by now Dutch and Belgian readers will be laughing). I know, I know: they are malformed. Let me explain. Rudolph, from 24 Kitchen's  Rudolph's Bakery makes it look so darn easy to use a pastry bag. Just stuff the mixture in with a spatula, give it a good twist, and then make lovely perfect dollops, the kind you find in your French Patisserie. Well now, I put the mixture in there, but forgot to instal the nozzle first. This is a bit of a problem. I tried stuffing it in there from the bottom up, but believe you me, that doesn't work (I am now wondering whether I could have simply put the nozzle on the outside of the bag). So I simply cut an opening in the pastry bag (Rudolph swears that works too) and worked without a nozzle, with bitterkoekjes that don't look like bitterkoekjes as the result. But that doesn't mean they don't taste good. When they had just cooled down, husband M said they looked like bleached dog doodies, ate one, and then another four (really). As I was hiding the rest, he sheepishly asked whether that was the only batch I had made. Yes, M: that is the only batch.

I first experimented making these with palm sugar, and although they were delicious when eaten the same day, the next day they were too soggy. I assume this is because palm sugar has a caramel-like quality that is not suited to combining with egg whites. This means I can only make them with confectioner's sugar (Dutch poedersuiker) and have therefore not really changed the original recipe.




Dutch Macaroons
from Rudolph's Bakery by Rudolph van Veen, as seen on 24 Kitchen

2 egg whites, at room temperature
150g confectioner's sugar (poedersuiker)
150g almond meal
a few drops of almond extract

  • preheat the oven 190 degrees Celsius
  • line a baking tray with baking paper
  • put almond meal and sugar into a large bowl, combine, then add the egg whites and almond extract; mix thoroughly with an electric beater to create a smooth batter (it is not necessary to beat the egg whites first)
  • prepare the pastry bag by cutting a hole at the bottom and installing the nozzle (ahum)
  • now place the pastry bag in a measuring jug so that both hands are free to scrape the batter into the pastry bag
  • create little dollops the size of small biscuits onto the tray
  • bake 13-15 minutes until slightly coloured




I would like to end this post by thanking you warmly for all your kind comments on my last post. I appreciate them very, very much.


15 comments:

  1. Oh Isabelle, you made me laughing out loud with the whole spout-story !! Why didn't you use another bag - with spout installed first ? ;-))))
    That aside, hmmmm yummy, macaroons... I love them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent question, Ingrid. I think I thought it would be too much hassle to scrape all the mixture out and into another bag. That I would waste some of it (or something). Or perhaps I was just being lazy and thinking I could get away with it. ;-)

      Delete
  2. As long as baking tastes nice that is the most important part, not what it looks like!! Not that these don't look nice, because they do!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds just the sort of thing I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very tasty and your husband must think so. That's the sort of thing my husband does too - scoffs a large proportion of what has just been baked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though they do not look like bitterkoekjes, they seem to be delícious anyway. So who cares? I love Dutch bitterkoekjes and when I read your post, I would have loved to bite into one. Thanks a lot for the recipe. Best wishes, Viola

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never eaten these before but I do know that our word "cookie" comes from the Dutch "koekjes." I think it's interesting to see that your version does not necessarily look like the "cookies" we eat here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute and they look delicious! They remind me of Italian garlic knots...
    ~Sophia
    http://plaidismyfavouritecolour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't matter what they look like if they taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound and look delicious even if they are not quite perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello
    they looks very delicious!
    blessings regina

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great to me and sound scrummy. I'm not surprised M ate a handful.

    I'm so sorry to read, in your last post, of the loss of your friend. What an interesting woman she sounds to have been, and a brave one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look fine to me, and I can imagine they taste amazing. I love French macarons, and the English ones (which are made with coconut) but have never tried dutch. I am totally useless at anything with a piping nozzle. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.