Saturday, 30 August 2014

Getting your teeth into a salad

On Thursday M and I had one of those rare days together, just the two of us. S and N spent the day at their surrogate grandparents' house enjoying a day of undivided attention whilst we went to Rotterdam for a nice relaxed lunch together. And what a lunch it was: rustic bread with pesto and garlic butter; artichoke and Parma ham salad; and a frothy cappuccino to finish things off. 

But now I'm going too fast. Back to the salad.

M was tucking into his quite happily when suddenly we heard a loud crack, as if he had just bitten into a shell of sorts. We both stopped eating and stared at one another. M worked whatever it was to the front of his mouth, and, with forefinger and thumb, plucked the offending object off his tongue. We both bent forward a little, squinting. What M had put in the cup of his hand was... half a molar. We both stared at it, a little dumbfounded. M felt around his mouth with his tongue and sure enough, his tongue was met by the jagged edges of the other half of the molar. "Damn," he said, "that's another visit to the dentist." (I don't know what that is, but past a particular age - say forty - a person suddenly develops a more intimate relationship with their dentist). "Well," I said attempting a joke, "thank goodness it's your molar - imagine finding someone else's molar in your salad!" M laughed half-heartedly (for Dutch readers: als een boer met kiespijn) whilst he got out his phone to call the dentist for an appointment the following week - yes, the first busy week of school when making appointments is extremely difficult (why oh why do things always have to come at once?).
 
On a different note, I have loved reading lots of posts on the ending of summer and the start of the new school year. Monday will be our first day. M and I start the school year with meetings; daughter N will experience her first day of school ever, and son S is dreading everything, particularly because he fears that school will interfere with play-and-toys time. I so enjoy the way he loses himself in play and the way he cherishes and appreciates his toys, although I must say there is a slightly worrying side to all this. Let me illustrate. He recently approached me with a concerned look. "Mama," he said, "where are all your toys?" I wasn't quite sure how to answer this question tactfully, so I asked, "Uhmm, what do you mean exactly?" to which he answered, "Well, where are all your Barbies and My Little Ponies and FurReal Friends?" When I answered that I didn't have them anymore, his eyes clouded over. "You mean....they're gone...?" he whispered. What ensued, of course, was a long talk about growing up and changing interests. I even told him there were grown-up men who collect (and play with) Lego and toy trains, which brightened up his face a little. He was not quite convinced, however. "Well," he concluded, "it seems to me grown-ups don't play enough, and that's strange because there's nothing more wonderful than getting out your toys and playing."


One of S's creations: "The more, the merrier"

There is a recipe I have been meaning to share. I don't know whether I have mentioned this before, but I absolutely love bananas. What I don't enjoy however, are banana cakes that are soggy or heavy in any way. This one is neither. It's actually surprisingly light, and moist without feeling greasy. I made it recently and we took wedges of it to the Efteling.

Banana and Coconut Cake
adapted extensively from Love, Bake, Nourish by Amber Rose

4 eggs
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons of coconut flour*
125g butter, melted and cooled
120ml maple syrup
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g dried, unsweetened desicated coconut
100g spelt flour
1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda

* Coconut flour is very healthy (and gluten-free) but also rather expensive. Use it if you happen to have it in your pantry; otherwise simply increase spelt flour with 4 tablespoons

  • preheat the oven 180 degrees Celsius 
  • grease a 20cm springform tin and line with baking paper
  • in a clean squeaky clean bowl, beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks; set aside (in de fridge if the weather is warm)
  • in another bowl, put everything except the flour, bicarb, and desicated coconut; mix well with an electric hand mixer
  • add flour, bicarb, and dessicated coconut; mix well until you have a smooth batter
  • carefully fold in the egg whites
  • pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes, checking at 35 minutes by inserting a wooden skewer into the centre of the cake - if it comes out clean, the cake is done
  • let cool on  a wire rack and dust with icing sugar 





22 comments:

  1. I hope the kids have a great time next week at school and I've named the cat Twiggy after your suggestion my lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that is so lovely. I feel really honoured!! And it's such a sweet name, isn't it. xxx

      Delete
  2. In my opinion, your son is a véry véry smart little kid... That remark he made about grown-ups not playing enough... That is hitting the nail on the head...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ingrid. Yes, I write about him quite often in my posts because he's such a wise little chap and often says very striking things.

      Delete
  3. I sympathise with your husband, visits to the dentist are no fun.... How wise your little boy is, we really don't play enough! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He recently had a root canal, so he's had enough of going to the dentist for the moment! x

      Delete
  4. I hope that your husband can get his tooth sorted out soon. And that you have some fun playing with the toys! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should play with my kids more often. I don't know why I don't, really.

      Delete
  5. When I was a teenager and used to go dancing every weekend I found it hard to believe that there would be a time when I wouldn't be doing it - just like your little boy and his toys. Growing up probably isn't as much fun as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son is so sweet, you can tell him that I still have my Barbies. :) I hope your husband's tooth situation works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told him about your Barbies and his face just lit up! :-)

      Delete
  7. Maybe we should be like our children and play a whole lot more. I know I don't play enough. Maybe crafting is like play for grown-ups and that's why I like it so much?

    I don't like the sound of a molar in a salad - ouch! I hope it's fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I told S: baking is my kind of playing. And tennis. That made him feel better, since he loves both those activities too.

      Delete
  8. Your little boy is right of course. We should play more. I love board games, but rarely get the chance to indulge. Ditto puzzles. BUT we bought a swingball this summer, and I have very much enjoyed playing with that. And it would appear that I rock at it. So much so that no-one will play with me anymore. Fancy a game?!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about having to the visit the dentist more often when we get to 40 and over. It's so true. I also like bananas but am not so keen on things made with bananas - like banana bread, banoffee or banana milk shake. I must try your recipe as it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never needed to go to the dentist - other than for the usual check-ups - but in the last couple of years I've had to go quite a lot. Root canals mainly. So odd.

      Delete
  10. I still have a lot of my sons toys in our attic, they are being brought down for our grandchildren to play with now. All your recipes look so good x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff. I'll definitely be keeping a lot of my kids' toys for later, but I wouldn't really know where all mine have gone!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post! Sorry to hear about the tooth, that sounds painful hope it is fixed soon. We haven't evolved well on the tooth front.

    I hope your little ones are alright when school starts again it makes me realise how lucky I am :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sustainable Mum. Thankfully the kids seem to have got off to a good start.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.